Archive

Archive for the ‘Shakopee Fire Department’ Category

Area Firefighters Participate in Stair Climb

March 4, 2011 Leave a comment
Apple Valley Fire, Public Relations, Fight For Air, Minneapolis

Apple Valley FD Photo

Firefighters from across the metro participated in the 2011 Fight for Air Climb at the Accenture Tower in Minneapolis last Saturday.

Congratulations to the more than 400 participants. The overall goal of all climbers was to bring in $140,000 and they exceeded that by $12,193.61.

Firefighters from the following climbed: Shakopee, Stewartville, Long Lake, Lexington, Apple Valley, Golden Valley, Chanhassen, Brooklyn Park, West Metro, Richmond, Jordan, Kensington, Glencoe, and Pierre.

Following are the results from the firefighter categories:

Fastest Firefighter

  • Fastest Male Firefighter – Mark Alberts, Hutchinson Fire Department – 4:48
  • Fastest Female Firefighter – Nancy Schmelzle, St. Louis Park – 6:59

Top Fundraising Firefighter Teams

  • Overall Top Fundraising Firefighter Team – Golden Valley Fire Department – $9,650
  • 2nd Place Fundraising Firefighter Team – Chanhassen Fire Department – $6,170
  • 3rd Place Fundraising Firefighter Team – Stewartville Fire – $3,865

Top Fundraising Firefighters

  • Top Fundraising Firefighter – Ken Bence, Golden Valley Fire Department – $4,660
  • 2nd Place Fundraising Firefighter – Steve Smith, Chanhassen Fire Department – $1,530
  • 3rd Place Fundraising Firefighter – John Williams, Chanhassen Fire Department – $1,345

Fastest Firefighter Teams

  • Overall Fastest Fire Fighter Team – Hutchinson Fire Department – 27:56
  • 2nd Place Fastest Firefighter Team – Long Lake Fire Department – 28:32
  • 3rd Place Fastest Firefighter Team – Shakopee Fire – 28:44

In the photo above, the Apple Valley Fire Department Smoke Eaters climbing team.  Front row:  (left to right) Marisa Holman, Lt. Colleen Elvin and Laura Basballe. Back row: (left to right)  Brian Benson, Lt. Pat Gram, Tom Ilg.

Click here for more information on the climb and click here for more photos.

‘Close Call’ at Savage Townhouse Fire

February 3, 2011 1 comment
Savage townhouse fire, Savage firefighter, Minnesota fire

Dan Lembeck Photo

Minnesota firefighter, Savage townhouse fire, Savage firefighter

Dan Lembeck Photo

Savage firefighter, Minnesota firefighter, Townhouse fire

Dan Lembeck Photo

Savage minnesota firefighter, townhouse fire, savage ladder 81, aerial platform

Dan Lembeck Photo

Exterior fire operations, Savage firefighter, Minnesota townhouse fire

Dan Lembeck Photo

Firefighters had a close call at a townhouse fire in Savage early Thursday.

Fire units were called to 6811 140th St. at 3:44 a.m. for a report of a working fire.

A captain with the Savage Fire Department, who lives in the townhouse complex, arrived to find fire showing from one window of the one-story, four-unit townhouse complex.

The occupant of the townhouse was outside when responders arrived. The captain teamed up with two police officers to evacuate the other three units in the building. They assisted one resident, who needed a wheelchair to exit the unit.

Savage Fire Chief Joel McColl arrived at 3:49 a.m. and took command and Deputy Chief 4 assumed operations.

First arriving Savage Engine 11 stretched a 1 3/4-inch hoseline into the garage, through the service door and into the living area.

“They made it about 10 feet inside the structure, but they encountered a lot of heat,” McColl told Twin Cities Fire Wire. They continued flowing water, but “then they felt the high heat behind them.” The crew exited the structure and prepared to go defensive.

“Right after they left, the ceiling collapsed where the crew was working,” according to McColl.

“This was a close call for us…This is a classic example of when training pays dividends.”

McColl said the flames coming from the window got into the soffit and spread into the attic of the home.

Crews provided a supply line from Savage Engine 11 into Savage Ladder 81 to apply the master stream from the bucket of the aerial platform. Prior Lake Ladder 1 was positioned on the C-side to protect the exposure units and handlines were placed around the structure to control the fire.

Units from Shakopee were also called to the scene due to the cold weather. “We knew we would have to rotate crews, so we wanted to have extra help on the scene.”

The fire was under control in about 45 minutes.

The three adjacent units suffered extensive water damage and smoke damage to the attic.

Crews stayed on the scene with the State Fire Marshal’s Office to investigate the cause of the fire.

Smoke Alarm Alerts Prior Lake Residents to Fire

January 28, 2011 Leave a comment

A Prior Lake family escaped their home after a fire was discovered shortly after midnight Friday.

Firefighters were called to the 4100 block of Grainwood Circle Northeast about 12:30 a.m.

Prior Lake Chief John Hartman told KARE-TV that “the fire appears to have started in the garage, then jumped to the back of the house.”

According to the Prior Lake American, the occupants were alerted to the fire by smoke alarms.

Mutual aid was received from Mdewakanton Emergency Services, Savage and Shakopee.

Related

Photos from Mystic Lake Casino Fire

January 23, 2011 Leave a comment

Twin Cities Fire Wire Photo

Twin Cities Fire Wire Photo

Twin Cities Fire Wire Photo

These photos were submitted to Twin Cities Fire Wire from Thursday’s fire at Mystic Lake Casino.

The fire started when construction crews were working on a remodeling project about 9:30 a.m. The fire spread along the roof and crews worked feverishly to open up areas of the roof to check for fire extension.

The casino was evacuated and no injuries were were reported.

Fire Damages Building at Mystic Lake Casino

January 20, 2011 Leave a comment

A fire that broke out when construction crews were remodeling the Mystic Lake Casino in Prior Lake is now under control.

Firefighters were called about 9:45 a.m. for a fire in an area of the casino that’s under construction. that’s reported to be adjacent to entrance two.

Shortly after crews arrived, fire was burning through the roof. Firefighters were forced to evacuate guests from the structure.

A witness told Twin Cities Fire wire that she saw “a lot of smoke and flames licking from the roof.” She said a dozen patrons were outside, watching fire crews.

At least two aerial ladders were set up to the structure and crews on the roof reported heavy fire. “There are several firefighters climbing up to the roof from the ground. They are carrying tools,” the witness said.

About 10:10, crews reported that they had a dead hydrant and were looking for a new water supply source.

Command reported that the fire was under control about 10:20 a.m.

Firefighters from Prior Lake, Savage and Shakopee were called to assist Mdewakanton Emergency Services. Allina EMS was called to standby at the scene.

TwinCitiesFireWire.com will update this story as more information becomes available.

Dog Alerts Shakopee Residents to Fire

December 17, 2010 Leave a comment

A dog alerted Shakopee residents to a house fire on Wednesday night.

According to the Shakopee Valley News, the family’s dog, Riley, started barking around 9 p.m. When they want to check on him, they found smoke coming into the house from the attached garage.

The family escaped the home on Cambridge Way and called 9-1-1.

“Neighbors got out their shovels and tried to find a hydrant to dig out before the Fire Department arrived, but there was none to be found since the cul-dec-sac next to Stonebrooke Golf Course is on a community well,” the Shakopee Valley News reported.

The fire, which started in a car in the garage, quickly spread in to the 2 1/2-story house.

Mutual aid was received from Chaska, Prior Lake and Savage for tankers.

Related Articles