Archive

Archive for the ‘Cooking-related Fire’ Category

Maple Grove Townhouse Damaged by Kitchen Fire

April 23, 2011 Leave a comment

April 22 – Maple Grove and Anoka-Champlin fire crews were called to a kitchen fire in a townhouse on Thursday afternoon.

Police officers were the first to arrive to the 3:45 p.m. call and reported a working kitchen fire at 10467 Yorktown Ln.

Maple Grove Chief 5 and Captain 31 arrived with Engines 12 and 31 and units began the fire attack.

The crew of Engine 31 stretched a 1 3/4-inch line through the front door of the structure. A backup hoseline was brought to the front door and other crews began ventilation. A nearby water supply was established, but it was not needed.

Fire Chief Scott Anderson said the fire was knocked down in five minutes and overhaul operations began.

The fire was contained to the kitchen and dining room, but the home suffered heat and smoke damaged. The three attached homes were not damaged.

The ignition of cooking oil on the stove is blamed for the blaze, Anderson said.

  • Assignment: Maple Grove Engines 12, 31, Ladder 21, Utility 22 and Chiefs 1, 2, 3 and 5. Auto Aid: Anoka-Champlin Engine and Ladder. North Memorial Ambulance.
Advertisements

Update: Cooking Led to Columbia Heights Fire

March 8, 2011 Leave a comment

Twin Cities Fire Wire Photo

Twin Cities Fire Wire Photo

Twin Cities Fire Wire Photo

Twin Cities Fire Wire Photo

Twin Cities Fire Wire Photo

March 7 – The Columbia Heights apartment fire that Twin Cities Fire Wire reported on last night was caused by cooking.

Columbia Heights crews were called to 907 46 1/2 Ave. about 8 p.m. While they were responding they received updates of heavy smoke in the hallways of the building. Fridley and St. Anthony fire units were dispatched as well.

Engine 1 arrived and reported fire showing from a second floor apartment. The three-story building contains 21 units.

Crews pulled a 2 1/2-inch hoseline with a gated wye. They stretched a 1 3/4-inch hoseline off the wye and entered the fire apartment, where they contained the fire to the area around the stove, according to Lt. Dan O’Brien.

“The cause is a cooking fire, left unattended,” O’Brien said.

The mutual aid crews stood by and were returned shortly after the fire was doused.

The fire was held to the kitchen of the one apartment, but smoke travelled throughout the building and likely damaged all units.

  • Assignment: Columbia Heights Engine 1 and Ladder 1. Mutual Aid: Fridley Ladder 2 and St. Anthony Engine 11

Related:

State Fire Marshal’s Office: Good Food Can be Costly

November 22, 2010 Leave a comment

Fires over the 2009 Thanksgiving weekend caused an estimated $1.3 million in property damage in Minnesota.

A press release issued by the Minnesota State Fire Marshal’s (SFM) Office on Monday reported that 82 fires occurred over last year’s four-day holiday weekend. Cooking related fires represent the leading cause of residential fires in Minnesota.

“I only left the room for a minute,” most occupants say, according to Deputy State Fire Marshal Becki White, who heads the public education section. “It’s hard to believe how quickly a frying pan can overheat, or how easily a carelessly placed towel can ignite.”

The SFM recommends that fire departments share the following tips with it’s residents:

  • Never leave cooking unattended, even for a moment.
  • Arrange for someone to be in the kitchen whenever food is cooking.
  • Watch hot skillets; clean stove hoods and stovetops. Grease and oil catch fire easily.
  • Keep towels, food packaging and clothing away from burners.
  • Keep children at least three feet away from the stove.
  • Smother stovetop fires with a pan lid. Contain oven fires by closing the door tightly.

“Holiday cooking is complicated by guests and lots of activity,” White says, “but following these rules is not difficult, and it can prevent destruction and injuries.”

Related Links: